Sunday, May 28, 2006

LIVESTRONG Day 2006

I had such a fantastic time on LIVESTRONG Day, May 17, 2006, in Washington, D.C. I don't know why it has taken me so long to post anything about it here!

I celebrated my 42nd birthday over dinner with Cyclists Combating Cancer Monday night. On Tuesday, 100 advocates, two from each state, received a full day of training, followed by a Congressional reception at which I was able to shake Lance Armstrong's hand: a real honor. LAF's CEO and President Mitch Stoller, Lance Armstrong, Senator John Kerry, and Representative Clay Shaw each spoke.

On Wednesday, Vanessa Underwood and I met with staff in Senator Judd Gregg's and Senator John Sununu's offices, and I met with Representative Jeb Bradley. We asked for adequate funding for cancer programs in next year's budgets for the National Institute of Health and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and for support of newly (re)introduced Cancer Survivorship and Quality of Life legislation that expands the scope of those cancer programs to include long-term issues facing cancer survivors. Cancer used to be a death sentence more often than not, but that's thankfully getting better. We need to keep making the progress that we know is possible.

See this article for more information.

No comments: